Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Keep yourselves from idols

 “And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness…….Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.” 1 John 5:19-21

John’s first epistle ends with this noble instruction that we should keep ourselves from idols. In that particular chapter five, he spoke about the victory of our faith over the world, our guarantee of eternal life, and our confidence that God answers prayers. In the conclusion, he reassured us that we are of God, but the whole world lies in wickedness. He now gave us the key to overcoming the wickedness in the world, and that is to keep from every idol. Beloved, you cannot be overcome by the wickedness that is in this world if you keep yourself from idols.

“Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed my covenant which I commanded them: for they have even taken of the accursed thing, and have also stolen, and dissembled also, and they have put it even among their own stuff.” Joshua 7:11

 “Now Rachel had taken the images, and put them in the camel's furniture, and sat upon them. And Laban searched all the tent, but found them not.” Genesis 30:34

What is it that has become an idol and has taken the place of God in your life? Is it yourself? Is it something you keep in your home? Are you still in league with the idols that your fathers served? This is the secret behind any defeat that someone who claims to be a child of God suffers in this wicked world. For some, the idol is clear disobedience to God’s instruction. Consciously renounce every idol in your life today so that you can come into the fullness of God's grace and power for your life.

I see you triumphing in this wicked world in Jesus name.

Prayer for today: Oh God, take away whatever is preventing Your fullness in my life in Jesus name.

Call to Salvation: Lord Jesus, I believe in the forgiveness of sin and in the redemption from the power of darkness through your blood. I confess you as my Savior and Lord.  I invite you into my life to save my soul. Holy Spirit, come into my heart and make me what you want me to be. Thank you Lord for saving me in Jesus name.

No comments: