Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Gaining mastery in all things 2

 “And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.” 1 Corinthians 9:25 (KJV)

If your goal is mastery in anything in this world, then you must exercise discipline and self-control. To exercise discipline and self-control is to say no to certain things because of your goal and to make yourself do what you are supposed to, whether it is convenient or not. I have heard of people who trained for hours for many years because they wanted to be a champion in a game. They will avoid food that others would love to eat and refrain from things that can damage their fitness. I have seen people go through discipline and self-control because they have targets in their secular work. They desired to excel and be at the top. However, these same people will complain about biblical discipline. They want to live anyhow and still be Christians. The truth is that grace is available for us to engage in biblical discipline and self-control to obtain the incorruptible crown. Grace is not an excuse to avoid the discipline and the self-control we need to engage in.

“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” Matthew 16:24KJV

“But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.” 1 Corinthians 15:10KJV

Beloved, if you desire spiritual mastery, you will separate yourself from the way the people of this world live particularly the things they do against God and His word. You will discipline yourself to listen to God and to walk in His ways. No man that wars entangles himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who has chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strives for masteries, he is not crowned, except he strives lawfully.

May you strive lawfully in spiritual matters in Jesus' name. 

Prayer for today: Oh God, break me, mold me, fill me, and use me in Jesus' name.

Salvation: Lord Jesus, I believe in the forgiveness of sin and in the redemption from the power of darkness through your blood. I confess you as my Savior and Lord.  I invite you into my life to save my soul. Holy Spirit, come into my heart and make me what you want me to be. Thank you Lord for saving me in Jesus name.

No comments: