Friday, April 15, 2022

Implications of the cross 4

 “When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.” John 19: 30

Jesus received the vinegar and then declared, “it is finished.” Vinegar means sour wine. Some years ago, a friend of mine came to visit me. He went for a stroll, entered a shop, and bought a bottle of vinegar. The look was tempting and he thought it would be good for a taste.  He discovered it was too sour for a drink. Beloved, whatever represents “sour” in your life was received by Jesus before his declaration of the completion of His assignment.

“Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.” Isaiah 53: 4

“And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.” Luke 23:45

The work of our redemption could not be completed without Him taking our griefs and our sorrows. Now when he declared that it was finished, He was declaring three major events. The first is the completion of our redemption; the second is an end to our sorrows and griefs, “the sour” in our lives; the third is the end of an era when access to God was limited to the Holy of Holies.

Whatever represents “sour” in your life is finished in Jesus name.

Prayer for today: I receive the finished work of Christ in my life in Jesus name.

Salvation: Lord Jesus, I believe in the forgiveness of sin and in the redemption from the power of darkness through your blood. I confess you as my Savior and Lord.  I invite you into my life to save my soul. Holy Spirit, come into my heart and make me what you want me to be. Thank you Lord for saving me in Jesus name.

No comments: