Friday, May 31, 2024

Does God hearken unto men?

 “And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.” Joshua 10:14.

God does hearken to men. This truth is vividly illustrated in various biblical narratives. In the case of Joshua, the scripture highlights an extraordinary event where God listened to the voice of a man, halting the sun to allow Israel to triumph over its enemies. This instance, noted in our text, underscores the exceptional nature of God's response to human pleas, showcasing His willingness to alter the natural order in response to the earnest and faithful prayers of His people. Similarly, the account of Elijah in 1 Kings 17:1 reveals how the prophet's declaration of drought was honored by the Lord, manifesting divine power in response to human declarations.

“And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the Lord God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.” 1 Kings 17:1.

“If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.” John 15:7.

The New Testament reinforces this theme, emphasizing a deeper relational dynamic between humanity and the divine. Jesus' words in John 15:7 invite believers to abide in Him and internalize His teachings, promising that such alignment with His will enables their requests to be fulfilled. This promise reflects a covenant relationship where mutual abiding—human faithfulness and divine response—results in answered prayers. Thus, biblical precedents and teachings collectively affirm that God does hearken unto men, especially when their supplications emanate from a place of righteousness and alignment with His divine purposes. Through these interactions, the scriptures convey that while God's responses are sovereign, they are also intricately connected to human faith and obedience.

May God hearken to your voice, in Jesus’ name.

Prayer for today: Oh God, hear my prayer and let me be an evidence of Your wonders daily in my life, in Jesus’ name.

Salvation: Lord Jesus, I believe in the forgiveness of sin and in the redemption from the power of darkness through your blood. I confess you as my Savior and Lord.  I invite you into my life to save my soul. Holy Spirit, come into my heart and make me what you want me to be. Thank you Lord for saving me in Jesus name.

No comments: