Saturday, August 10, 2019

Christian giving 7


“Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia; How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;” 2 Corinthians 8:1-3

Christian giving is motivated by sacrifice unto God. By sacrifice, I mean giving to God when it is not convenient because of Him. God does not require a sacrifice of goat and sheep from us anymore but a sacrifice of our commitment and dedication unto Him. Of course, we all go extra mile to meet a need if we are committed (Luke 21:1-4).

“Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.” Psalms 50:5
“And the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the Lord my God of that which doth cost me nothing. So David bought the threshingfloor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.” 2 Samuel 24:24

The church in Macedonia supported Paul’s ministry not because it was convenient but because of their commitment. They were willing to do beyond their power. David refused to take the oxen and the land from Araunah free of charge because he felt that his offerings unto the Lord must cost him something. The truth is that when we give sacrificially, we provoke His intervention in our lives (Genesis 22:16-17, Luke 6:38). You can never lose when you give to God.

May you your offering calls God’s attention in Jesus name.
Prayer for today: Oh God give me grace to be committed to you in all things in Jesus name.

No comments: